Pugin

Decrease font size
Increase font size
Print this page
Home > Content > Pugin

The Archdiocese of Hobart has a world-class heritage of buildings, stained glass, textiles and metalwork, as well as carved stone and wooden furnishings, all designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812–52), England’s greatest early-Victorian architect, designer and theorist.

Pugin is best known for having designed the entire interiors, down to the smallest objects, of the British Houses of Parliament, as well as their external detail including the form of the famous clock tower Big Ben. He was a very close friend of our first Bishop, Robert William Willson, and in 1843 designed at no cost everything that would be required to set up a new diocese at the far end of the world.

A number of these exquisite objects are now in the care of the Archdiocese of Hobart Museum, located in the Wallis Centre, Hobart, but many still serve the purpose for which they were designed in parishes across Tasmania.

We are fortunate in having two important Pugin churches, namely, St Paul’s, Oatlands, and St Patrick’s, Colebrook, as well as extensions from a third Pugin design to St John’s, Richmond, Australia’s oldest continuously-used Catholic church. St Paul’s and St Patrick’s are beautiful examples of Pugin’s realisation of the form, detail and furnishings of a small English medieval village church.

If you wish to support us, please contact the Heritage Office.