Presentation Society of Australia and Papua New Guinea (PBVM)
The sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Presentation Sisters) were founded in Cork, Ireland, by Nano (Honora) Nagle in 1775.
The Presentation sisters established themselves in Tasmania in 1866 at Richmond under the auspices of the Archbishop, Dr. Daniel Murphy. This was the first Presentation convent and school in the Southern Hemisphere. In 1868, the Presentation Sisters then established a school adjacent to St Mary’s Cathedral in Hobart.
The Presentation Sisters have maintained an active presence in Tasmania since 1866 through social justice activities and education.