Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea (RSM)
The Sisters of Mercy was founded in Ireland in 1831 when Catherine McAuley, along with two companions, Anna Maria Doyle and Elizabeth Harley, professed their vows and became the first Sisters of Mercy.
In 1846 the Sisters of Mercy came to Australia. In the 1890s the congregation established themselves in Tasmania, firstly at Latrobe in 1892 and then at Deloraine in 1896.
The Sisters of Mercy are represented in Tasmania by Sr Margaret Henderson RSM and Sr Carmel Hinkley.