The Carmelite Nuns and Tasmanian Catholic community have said farewell to Sr Mary Peter of the Trinity, OCD, who died peacefully at Mount Esk Aged Care, St Leonard’s on 1 March 2017.
Sr Mary was born Patricia (Pat) Jean Sharp in Hobart on 25 July 1931. Educated at Sacred Heart College, New Town, Pat began a career in a local bank but after several years she sensed a call to join the relatively new foundation of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns at their monastery, then at Longford.
Pat entered the monastery on 2 February 1960, and received the habit of the Carmelite Order, and her religious name – Sr Mary Peter of the Trinity – on 25 September 1960, before making her First Vows on 1 October 1961.
When the Carmelite Community built their new monastery in Launceston in 1975, Sr Mary worked hard to assist this site transfer. In subsequent years, Sr Mary helped to establish the gardens, caring for a reflective area she named ‘Nazareth’, as well as sharing the sewing and cooking responsibilities with the other Sisters.
Sr Mary celebrated her Golden Jubilee in 2011. Sr Mary was the only native Tasmanian member of the Carmelite Community.
In November 2013 Sr Mary suffered a serious heart attack, which resulted in a lengthy hospital stay. Sr Mary moved from hospital into care at Ainslie House, Low Head for three months, before a permanent move to Mount Esk Aged Care, St Leonard’s in May 2014, where she remained until her death.